Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Peter Wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 18:55:44 CEST 2020

During the many centuries that documents were printed from lead type the
base of a line of type was the vertical position of the bottom of the
characters a, b, c, etc. Some characters such as p, q, and y, have
descenders which descend below the bottom of the a, b, c, characters.

The tradition is that descenders extend below the type baseline.

If some wish to go against centuries of experience then so be it but do
not try and impose their views on others.

Peter W.

PS. The <<Terminology>> chapter in the memoir manual that Axel referred
to has nothing to do with using the memoir class. It is a quick overview
of some of the terminology used when describing a particular document.
For instance it says that a 10pt font with 11pt leading on a 20pc
measure is described as 10/11 x 20.