Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon Jul 6 12:57:08 CEST 2020

Axel, I do not understand your suggestion.  Doug has stated how he
places a ruler at exactly one inch from the bottom of an American
letter-sized (8.5 x 11) document, as required by the forthcoming book's
publisher.  I do not understand how the documentation of one or two TeX
packages is in any way relevant.  There is no suggestion that
contributors to this book are required to work in TeX [1], let alone
required to use the "geometry" and/or "memoir" packages, so how does
their behaviour in any way affect Doug's task ?

Philip Taylor

[1] "The motivation for it is [that Doug has] been building a custom
program that helps vet formatting violations for paper submissions for a
conference and its eventual proceedings in book form.  All submissions
are PDF, but a significant number are not created using LaTeX (Word
usually).  There's no access to the original LaTeX source or Word file,
which remains in authors' hands.  So the editors have to inform authors
of all the problems and get them to fix them before resubmitting."
--------