Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon Jul 6 20:01:48 CEST 2020

Peter Wilson wrote:

> During the many centuries that documents were printed from lead type
> the base of a line of type was the vertical position of the bottom of
> the characters a, b, c, etc. Some characters such as p, q, and y, have
> descenders which descend below the bottom of the a, b, c, characters.
>
> The tradition is that descenders extend below the type baseline.
>
> If some wish to go against centuries of experience then so be it but
> do not try and impose their views on others.
>
> Peter W.

I am note sure to whom your comments are addressed, Peter, but as you
cite my message to Axel I will respond as if they were addressed to me.
Nothing that I have said argues that descenders may sometimes not go
below the type baseline; as far as I am concerned, they always do.  The
question is not about the baseline at all — it is about the lower
margin, a completely unrelated entity.

Philip Taylor