Which font is this? Is there an equivalnet for use in plain TeX?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue Dec 29 18:16:28 CET 2020

Heiko Oberdiek via texhax wrote:

> Font setup in plain TeX is no fun, one of the reasons not to use it.

Heiko, with the greatest respect, that is pure FUD ("Fear, uncertainty
and doubt").  I have been setting up fonts in plain TeX (and more
recently, in plain PdfTeX and then plain XeTeX) since the late mid
80's.  I even wrote my own font-handling library, based on the Kellerman
& Smith naming conventions, long before NFSS existed for LaTeX.  Font
setup in plain TeX is simple and straightforward, and even more so in
plain XeTeX.  By all means sing the praises of LaTeX, but please do not
try to convince others that plain TeX is anything to be feared or
avoided — it is anything but.

/Philip Taylor/