Which font is this? Is there an equivalnet for use in plain TeX?

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:43:34 CET 2020

Hello,

On 2020-12-29 16:17, Suresh Govindachar via texhax wrote:
> Attached is a screenshot of a web-page. I would like to create plain TeX
> documents using that font. I examined the html source of the web-page
> but could not figure out which font is being used.
>
> What is the font used for the text in that screen shot?
> Is there an equivalent font for use in plain TeX?

The font is Arial (Windows font).

A LaTeX file for XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Arial}
\begin{document}
We are going to ease into this process as much as possible.
\end{document}

plain TeX: If you just need a sans-serif font, then \sf can be used.
Font setup in plain TeX is no fun, one of the reasons not to use it.

If you need a font similar to Arial, then TeX Gyre Heros can be used,
it is derived from Ghostscript's Helvetica clone and is available in
Type 1 and OpenType font formats, supporting both the 8-bit TeX engines
(vanilla TeX, pdfTeX) and the Unicode TeX engines (LuaTeX, XeTeX).
The LaTeX package name is tgheros, it configures the sans serif font.

Yours sincerely
   Heiko