[texhax] Alt text tags for accessibility

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 10:30:45 CET 2019

Brian Dunn wrote:
> Some ideas regarding accessibility:
>
> There are several new accessibility packages for LaTeX, as well as several
> LaTeX to HTML converters.  For HTML it is expected that each graphics image
> will have an alt tag, and they can be useful for PDF documents as well.
> This could be accomplished by the addition of a key such as "alt={text}" for
> \includegraphics, and perhaps also things such as tikzpicture, pstricks,
> asymptote, xy, chemical diagrams, register / bytefield, and various other
> graphics objects.

What about "longdesc" [1], Brian.  I was one of those who formed the
HTML4All pressure group way back in 2008 to fight for accessibility on
the web, and the battle for "longdesc" took all of our energy and more.
It is now enshrined in the specification and it would be a great shame
(IMHO) if LaTeX did not support it in the same way as you propose it
should support "alt".

Philip Taylor
--------
[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/html-longdesc/