[texhax] Alt text tags for accessibility

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Feb 19 10:18:57 CET 2019

Am Mon, 18 Feb 2019 02:04:17 -0600 schrieb Brian Dunn:

> Some ideas regarding accessibility:
>
> There are several new accessibility packages for LaTeX, as well as several
> LaTeX to HTML converters.  For HTML it is expected that each graphics image
> will have an alt tag, and they can be useful for PDF documents as well.
> This could be accomplished by the addition of a key such as "alt={text}" for
> \includegraphics

>From the point of tagpdf an alt key in includegraphics is
(currently) at the wrong place - the value is needed by the
surrounding structure, so unless includegraphics is patched to
insert this too or at least gets some hooks which allows to create
the structure I can't use it.

But beside this, I think this is a good idea and I would suggest
that instead of patching includegraphics or defining local keys you
make a feature request at the latex github. It should be easy to add
a key which stores the value in some variable which then can be
picked up by whoever sees an use - and this would avoid that later
on more than one package tries to define the same key.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/