Feature Wish: Tagging the main releases of TeX Live

khzimmer at posteo.de khzimmer at posteo.de
Sun Jan 29 16:42:56 CET 2023

Hi,

currently there is no such thing as a "2023 version" of TeX Live, but
that 'version' is changed over the year … until TeX Live 2024 will be
published.

Could we have a tag (e.g. "1.0") set at the annual version, at the
moment when it is released?

This would be the benefit: I would be able to download that very version
whenever I want. It would just always be the same.

I could tell my users: Get "TeX Live 2023 1.0".

Then all of my users would have exactly the same version of all of the
packages, no matter at what time they make the download. :)

Things like the shocking incompatible change that happened (in autumn
2019) in TeX Live 2019 would matter much less then.

Karl-Heinz