Installation sizes

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Apr 25 15:39:28 CEST 2023

On 25/04/2023 11:01, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Am 25.04.23 um 11:33 schrieb Peter Flynn:
>> [...] I was thinking of something with rather more examples
>> (different sizes, and a full alphabet). Maybe I should start work
>
> shameless ad:  chapter 10 of TLC3
> https://www.latex-project.org/news/2023/03/17/TLC3/ pages 47-50

This is much more detailed than the simple ones at
http://latex/formattinginformation/fontuse.html#ottt-packages (aimed at
a less analytic beginner population).

> does not contain everything that is in TL but a lot. Got a lot of
> help from Adam Twardoch to identify the really good ones and present
> them in a hopefully useful way.

It is very useful, especially because it shows bold, italic, and small
caps as well as the roman.

> It classifies

As a sideline, I am working on a simple recognition/identity system for
faces based on the appearance of some letterforms — for example the
double-loop or fish-hook lowercase "g" — designed to let beginners
identify the typeface they want. More later.

> and shows more than 100 font families on 120 pages

It's really impressive

> A lot of heart-blood went into that chapter to make it a bit of a
> useful coffeetable chapter --- but no, it is not free.
That's also fine. The work involved is very significant, and we are
indebted to you and Ulrike and your contributors. It would make a nice
booklet for the coffee table too, one that people would be happy to pay for.

Peter