Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour

Christopher Dimech dimech at gmx.com
Thu Sep 29 01:07:56 CEST 2022

Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 9:53 AM
From: "peacecop kalmer:" <kalmer at test.tennis24.ee>
To: No recipient address
Cc: tex-live at tug.org
Subject: Re: Rethinking TeX in STEM: Online Thu 29 Sep: 6.30pm BST (UK time): From the TeX Hour
It is not about professionalism. It is about the system. As stated before, i really would prefer using FOSS-Android instead of the proprietary version. Meritocracy that is used for creating FOSS means that functionalities would be implemented that are necessary to solve a problem or sometimes to have fun instead of getting likes from a majority and forcing them to use it for creating profit. Of course, i prefer if something has been done by a professional. Do i get you right that you call developers of tex-live amateurs? On the other hand, how many discoveries have been made by amateurs if they are not limited by the rules of their employer? Usually, there are style, security, usability and other guidelines if FOSS is large. FOSS-development is a great example of a sharing society where i want to live. Therefore, i wish the same way to be implemented in every branch: also in producing cars and clothes. There have been made efforts for open-source hardware design. i do not accept the current reality which is FOS without the other S or financial slavery system. It only works because so many people accept it. Once people stop accepting it the system can be replaced. Therefore, all the people who accept proprietary system are enemies of sharing society. i also think that people thriving for sharing society cannot change that as people are built so. Is the technical construct called human designed by an amateur or a professional?

* Professional Work simply means Work for Money.  Has nothing to do about whether the work is
valuable or not.  Many attorneys do Pro-Bono Publico Work.  Is their work of lesser value?  On
the contrary, it is usually the best and most respected work of their entire public life.
It is the same with doctors, engineers and geologists.  What about the work of mathematicians?
Most times our work is inconsequential and of no value to our communities.

* My best work has always been done when I get fully involved in it.  My worst work has been
professional because its quality depends on a cost-benefit calculation.  If the monetary
benefit is not at par with the effort, it just does not get done.

* Anybody worth his salt knows that Pro-Bono Publico Work is certainly not amateurish.  But work
that is done from the heart to the best of one's ability.  What we do for an employer is debatable,
what we do through our joyfulness is what makes each of us Super.