Indexing fonts

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Dec 20 00:45:41 CET 2022

On 19/12/2022 23:34, Norbert Preining wrote:
[...]
> rpm is a different beast, I think both SuSE and RedHat have very
> different packaging of TeX Live.

It's been a very long time since I used an RPM-based system.

> Then there is Arch, and Guix, and ....

There is a limit to what I have space and time for, and I am working on
the basis that .deb and .rpm systems cover the majority of users. I can
solicit contributions from others.

>> omitting VMS and mainframe installations.
> That is a good idea, not sure how many are actually using that.

My last VMS system bit the dust in the early 2000s, but from memory I
don't think the directory layout was anything special, and was fairly
obvious (Phil?). But I wasn't using a GUI, so fonts in non-TeX
applications weren't an issue. SunOS on the other hand was at 4.1.3 last
time I used it (dvips in those days), and I did have a serious problem
getting non-CM fonts to work. Fortunately I had help from Nelson Beebe
and Tom Rokicki.

Peter