Hyperref change breaks every document that I'm writing!

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at skimble.plus.com
Mon Oct 7 15:49:04 CEST 2019

Marcel Fabian Krüger <tex at 2krueger.de> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 11:17:25AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>
>> Since the hyperref changes and using the new hyperref every document
>> that I'm writing is now broken!
>>
>> This is what it shows when trying to use a table of contents
>>
>> --------------------
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \Ginclude at graphics ...\Ginput at path \set at curr@file
>>                                                   {#1}\edef \uq at curr@file {\...
>> l.87 \tableofcontents
>> --------------------
>>
>> and if I disable the table of contents, then it breaks on footnotes.
>>
>> -----------------------
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.177 ...ou'll have to do a little digging. \uline
>>                                                   {Message me} \footnote{\ur...
>> ----------------------
>>

> Hey,
>
> the problem seems to be that you didn't do a full update so you ended up
> with inconsistant versions. The new version of the graphics bundle needs
> the new LaTeX kernel. So please update `latex` or, if `latex` already is
> up-to-date, try rebuilding your format (`fmtutil-sys --byfmt latex`).
>

> Best regards,
> Marcel

Thanks Marcel, I did a full update at 0807 this morning, but I have also
done your suggestion of `fmtutil-sys --byfmt latex`.

The thing that has been pointed out to me by Peter Flynn on the comp.tex
newsgroup is using part of the solution from [1], and although I'm using
Debian 10 it works, much to my surprise! And the workaround is placing
this in your preamble --

---------------
\makeatletter
\def\set at curr@file#1{%
  \begingroup
    \escapechar\m at ne
    \xdef\@curr at file{\expandafter\string\csname #1\endcsname}%
  \endgroup
}
\def\quote at name#1{"\quote@@name#1\@gobble""}
\def\quote@@name#1"{#1\quote@@name}
\def\unquote at name#1{\quote@@name#1\@gobble"}
\makeatother
\usepackage{graphics}

Thanks
Sharon.

[1] https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/511138/miktex-graphics-version-1-3b-bug-on-windows-10-setcurrfile-undefined
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.1, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.3, org 9.2.6