will dvisvgm ship with support for PostScript specials (Windows, Mac OS)?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Thu Mar 28 08:59:58 CET 2019

Hi Mojca,

Le 28 mars 2019 à 07:11, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 00:04, jfbu wrote:
>>
>> And would TeXLive consider shipping fully enabled dvisvgm
>> or are there technical obstacles related to Ghostscript?
>
> We build a ton of third-party libraries. I don't know how challenging
> it would be to add GhostScript's sources to the TL build, but even if
> it's technically feasible and nobody would object it, someone needs to
> do the work of integrating the sources to our build tree.
>
> In MacPorts ghostscript depends on the following libraries:
>    expat, fontconfig, freetype, jbig2dec, jpeg, libiconv, libidn,
> libpaper, libpng, tiff, zlib, lcms2, xorg-libXext, xorg-libXt
> plus a runtime dependency on Perl (no idea what for).
>
> Maybe one could disable X11, but there's still a bunch of others
> missing which would also need integration. Having ghoscript available
> would benefit other binaries too (asymptote among others, but
> definitely not the only one), not just dvisvgm.
>
> It's non-trivial in any case, but if someone would integrate it,
> maybe. Until there's a volunteer for that job, the answer will likely
> stay "no".
>
> Mojca

This is perfectly reasonable. Thanks (and I now remember last year
you already explained similar context). I had completely forgotten
the details related to dvisvgm (as I started actively using it
again only a few days ago), and I tested now on my Mac OS 10.9.5
with the TL2019 pretest :

$ /Library/TeX/texbin/dvisvgm --libgs=/opt/local/lib/libgs.dylib testps.dvi
pre-processing DVI file (format version 2)
processing page 1
  graphic size: 3.60001pt x 3.60001pt (1.265259mm x 1.265259mm)
  output written to testps.svg
1 of 1 page converted in 0.324621 seconds

which works fine.

Also

$ LIBGS=/opt/local/lib/libgs.dylib /Library/TeX/texbin/dvisvgm testps.dvi
pre-processing DVI file (format version 2)
processing page 1
  graphic size: 3.60001pt x 3.60001pt (1.265259mm x 1.265259mm)
  output written to testps.svg
1 of 1 page converted in 0.321718 seconds

works.

A few weeks ago I cleaned up my disk and removed my MacPorts texlive-binaries
but installed separately their dvisvgm package because I needed it to work
and I had completely forgotten the above. (which used the MacPorts installed
Ghostscript)

I realize now from the above quick test
I could simply set LIBGS in my .bash_profile to use the
dvisvgm from your contributed binaries

As the dvisvgm FAQ page  https://dvisvgm.de/FAQ/ primarily mentions
Linux and Windows, perhaps the info of this thread will be useful
to others (MacOS X being unix-like one may consider the Linux
explanations cover it).

Best,

Jean-François