will dvisvgm ship with support for PostScript specials (Windows, Mac OS)?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 07:11:44 CET 2019

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 00:04, jfbu wrote:

> And would TeXLive consider shipping fully enabled dvisvgm
> or are there technical obstacles related to Ghostscript?

We build a ton of third-party libraries. I don't know how challenging
it would be to add GhostScript's sources to the TL build, but even if
it's technically feasible and nobody would object it, someone needs to
do the work of integrating the sources to our build tree.

In MacPorts ghostscript depends on the following libraries:
    expat, fontconfig, freetype, jbig2dec, jpeg, libiconv, libidn,
libpaper, libpng, tiff, zlib, lcms2, xorg-libXext, xorg-libXt
plus a runtime dependency on Perl (no idea what for).

Maybe one could disable X11, but there's still a bunch of others
missing which would also need integration. Having ghoscript available
would benefit other binaries too (asymptote among others, but
definitely not the only one), not just dvisvgm.

It's non-trivial in any case, but if someone would integrate it,
maybe. Until there's a volunteer for that job, the answer will likely
stay "no".

Mojca