Font problem with TL'20

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:15:20 CET 2020

Hi Paulo

You wrote

Do you know a way one can automatically check a PDF file for this kind of
> overprinting?

 I know something that helps. The overprinting was caused by change in the
TeX-Live software (which then affected the font selection).

Here's my automatic check. It is a regression test. Suppose A.tex produced
2019-A.pdf when run with TeX Live 2019, and similarly for 2020-A.pdf. Now
convert the pdf files to bitmaps, and perform a diff on the bitmaps.

I've already written a utility for doing this, when we want to check some
PDF manipulation software that was used to improve accessibility of the
PDFs. But it introduced visual errors. This diff on bitmaps, made visual,
allowed errors to be easily spotted.

Related is using the output produced by the --recorder option. As part of a
final production run, use --recorder, and augment it with the git hash of
the files read.

jfine at lemon:~$ tex --recorder story
This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2019) (preloaded format=tex)
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/plain/knuth-lib/story.tex [1])
*\end
Output written on story.dvi (1 page, 680 bytes).
Transcript written on story.log.

$ cat story.fls
PWD /home/jfine
INPUT /usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf.cnf
INPUT /usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
INPUT /usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-var/web2c/tex/tex.fmt
INPUT /usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/plain/knuth-lib/story.tex
OUTPUT story.log
OUTPUT story.dvi

This example shows that to avoid binary noise, you'll want to similarly
fingerprint the creation of tex.fmt.

I hope this helps.
--
Jonathan