Font problem with TL'20

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 01:02:20 CET 2020

Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't know if I mention it publicly, but we
almost printed a 5K run of this book that was caught only at the last
minute, so I am deeply interested in the subject.

Our system does a gazillion checks for conformity on the sources and PDF,
but it is not able to recognize this type of problems. Interestingly enough
NONE of the pre-flight tools I have access to have been able to detect
this, in the PDF file, even though the two characters occupying the same
space in the PDF source is very clear.

I have been thinking about writing something that could detect it, but it
will have to deal with a fair amount of false-positives like "\not\in" and
with slow algorithms to detect when they intersect.

Does anyone know of work in that direction?

Paulo Ney