[tex4ht] is it possible to have complete support for breqn package in tex4ht?

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 10:08:03 CEST 2023

Hi Nasser,

> I was wondering how hard it will be to have tex4ht
> support fully the breqn package directly? i.e. generate
> same math as that in PDF for long equations (but in svg mode).

I've tried an older test file you sent me, and all Breqn equations
were converted to images by default. What doesn't seem to work is the
long line-breaking feature, which is a bit problematic. TeX4ht sets
long line widths by default, so I thought that this may be the
problem, but even if I set these widths to a much smaller size, the
line breaking doesn't seem to work:

\Preamble{xhtml}
\makeatletter
\AddToHook{env/dmath/before}{% test that line width is really small:
\typeout{*************** linewidth: \the\linewidth, \the\eq at linewidth,
\the\displaywidth, \the\columnwidth}
}
\begin{document}
\textwidth=6em
\linewidth=\textwidth
\columnwidth=\textwidth
\eq at linewidth=\linewidth
\makeatother
\EndPreamble

I am not sure what is going on here, maybe Breqn uses also some other
dimensions or macros overridden by TeX4ht, so the line-breaking
doesn't work.