[tex4ht] How to control/optimize the number of times make4ht runs dvilualatex?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sun Apr 24 20:43:12 CEST 2022

On 4/24/2022 10:11 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:

>> But when now I use the same command again, but do not
>> clear the folder and keep all intermediate files generated from earlier
>> command, it now calls dvilualatex one time only and not 2 times.
>>
>> Just wanted to make sure this is all what is expected as I want
>> to use this in my main makefiles.
>
> Yes, it is as expected.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal

Thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, I had to remove this build file after trying
it on my actual large latex file.

This is what happened. After waiting for almost 30 hrs, and counted
tex4ht calling dvilualatex 10 times !  I decided it went into
an infinite loop for some reason.  It takes 2-2.5 hrs for one
call.

Normally it needs only 3-4 calls.

I assume each call to dvilualatex  correspond to one call that make4ht
makes, which we are trying to optimize.

I see you had a check in the build file to protect against this.
But for some reason, this was not activated.  I only changed the
max from 3 to 5 in the code you posted.

But I saw 10 times, and it was going into the 11th when I killed the
build.  I have no  idea why. So I am back to using default, which
is 3 times.

Thank you,