[tex4ht] How to control/optimize the number of times make4ht runs dvilualatex?

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:11:32 CEST 2022

Hi Nasser,

> Just a clarification. I now trying using your build file above to optimize
> the number of times tex4ht is called.
>
> Do I need to also add
>
> \Preamble{xhtml}
> \typeout{(\jobname.4tc)}
> \begin{document}
> \EndPreamble
>
> to my .cfg? or is this above for use with the other method you showed
> which is using latexml?

No, you don't need it with the build file, as it doesn't use latexmk.
I've also fixed most issues regarding latexmk in TeX4ht sources and in
make4ht, so this line shouldn't be necessary anyway, if you use an
up-to-date system.

> So if I just want to use the above build file, is it enough to just
> load it using -e  build_file.mk4   where build_file.mk4 is what you
> show above or do I need to do something more to my .cfg?
>
> btw, when I try the above on a simple file, it calls
> tex4ht twice starting from clean folder. I assume this is normal?

> Is the above expected? why 2 times on this simple file?

Yes, because checksums of temporary files differ after the first
compilation, as they were empty at the beginning. They should use just
one compilation afterwards, unless auxilary  files change.

> But when now I use the same command again, but do not
> clear the folder and keep all intermediate files generated from earlier
> command, it now calls dvilualatex one time only and not 2 times.
>
> Just wanted to make sure this is all what is expected as I want
> to use this in my main makefiles.

Yes, it is as expected.