[tex4ht] problem with slow compilation of large latex file with large math content

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Mon Mar 28 10:20:50 CEST 2016

On 3/26/2016 2:21 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> I put the latex file
> and all the needed include files I use and the .cfg and main.mk
> and the command in one zip file. Here it is, in this folder:
>
> http://12000.org/tmp/032616/
>
> There is file call compile.sh which has this line:
>
> make4ht --lua -u -c ./nma.cfg -e ./main.mk4 report.tex "htm,3,pic-align,notoc*"

I just finished new timings on the same above file, after removing
the package titlesec which was the cause of the slowdown (thanks for
finding it goes toJagath AR​)

Thought to share the new timings: (all with TL 2015)

-------------------------------
new Linux pc: 24 GB RAM, intel i7-6700, 64 bits:   4 minutes
older Linux pc: 8 GB RAM, intel i7-930:            6 minutes
Windows 7 pc 64 bit, VBox: 16 GB RAM, intel i7-3930k:  17 minutes
Windows 7 pc 64 bit, CYGWIN: 16 GB RAM, intel i7-3930k: 54 minutes

In all of these, the slowest part of tex4ht building phases,
happens at the call to dvisvgm, here:

Make4ht: dvisvgm -v1 -n -c 1.15,1.15 -p 1- report.idv

I was surprised cygwin took much more actually now, but most
of the time with the cygwin test was on the above line, about
80% of the build time was on the dvisvgm call ! I was reading that
cygwin disk IO is slow.