Double installation test

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:19:19 CEST 2024

út 9. 4. 2024 v 11:56 odesílatel Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> napsal:

> A new user installed TL from TUG on his Fedora system but then tried to
> install a new package, not realising that he was on a system which
> already had the Fedora repos [?]RPM-based texlive installed before he
> started, so he got an error like this:
>
>  >> *** WARNING ***: Performing this action will likely destroy the
> Fedora TexLive install on your system.
>  >> *** WARNING ***: This is almost NEVER what you want to do.
>
> Does TL-from-TUG do a test before starting to see if any of the usual
> suspects are already working (eg tex, latex, xelatex, lualatex, kpsewhich)?

No, it doesn't because you can have many versions installed in
parallel and can choose by setting PATH. I have 17 working versions in
addition to the Fedora packages. However, TL after installation says
that its binary should be at the begining of PATH which is not done by
the installation procedure, a user must do it. What TL dos is
examination of existence of a previous version and optional copy of
the settings.

> Peter

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/