pdf-version not allowed

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Mar 30 12:24:13 CEST 2023

Am Tue, 28 Mar 2023 01:41:15 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> replace the very first line
>
>    %PDF-1.7
>
> by
>
>    %PDF-1.5

I would not recommend to change the value manually. If the PDF
contains 1.7 only features, this could break it (quite apart from
the fact that one can break the PDF too if the editor e.g. changes
line endings or similar and so the byte count).

> I don't recommend to increase the PDF version number of the document
> you create.  This postpones the problem to programs processing your
> file.

pdf 1.7 is from 2006 and there is really absolutly no reason not to
use it. pdf 2.0 is sometimes a problem for some validators (e.g.
pac3 can't handle it) but beside this should work fine normally too.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/