pdf-version not allowed

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 11:14:01 CEST 2023

út 28. 3. 2023 v 1:41 odesílatel Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de> napsal:

> On 2023-03-27 at 15:23:01 +0200, bernhard kleine wrote:
>
>  > After installing texlive2023 I got the following error message:
>  >
>  > pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file f:/Meine
>  > Noten/EigeneNoten/Bruckner/Bruckner
>  > _Choralmesse_für_den_Gründonnerstag_WAB9_Titelblatt.pdf): PDF inclusion:
>  > foun
>  > d PDF version <1.7>, but at most version <1.5> allowed
>  >
>  > texlive2022 didnot show such an error.
>
> First of all, it's a warning, not an error message.  It's important to
> distinguish between errors and warnings.
>
> Secondly, nothing changed regarding this message in TeX Live 2023,
> I've seen these messages with previous releases many times.  Maybe
> you've overseen them in the past.
>
> The best you can do is to ignore the warning message.  If it annoys
> you, just open the file 'Bruckner...Titelblatt.pdf' with a text editor
> which doesn't mangle binary files and replace the very first line
>
>    %PDF-1.7
>
> by
>
>    %PDF-1.5
>
> and the warnings will disappear.  Avoid editors from Microsoft, they
> probably try to "repair" line breaks and thus break binary files.
>
> I don't recommend to increase the PDF version number of the document
> you create.  This postpones the problem to programs processing your
> file.

I will not recommend editing just the comment line, it is even more
dangerous. You will claim that the file contains v.1.5 features only
but it can contain features not known by SW which can process PDF up
to 1.5. It does not mean that each v.1.7 file contains the new feature
but by cheating aout the version, the later crash is unpredictable. If
you want to include 1.7 file without modification, you should create
1.7 output. If you need 1.5 output, you should not just edit the
information file but use a software which can convert the PDF to 1.5.
This will guarantee that you do not include features not available in
1.5.

> PDF is an extensible file format.  Whenever it was extended the
> version number of the specification was increased.

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/