Lincense question for commercial app

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Sun Jan 22 22:13:21 CET 2023

DK> From: Daniel Kuster <daniel.kuster at gmail.com>
DK> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 07:03:22 +0100

DK> "But this doesn't matter when you are just executing it in the
DK> normal way."
DK> Does that mean that also GPL licensed programs (like pdftex according to
DK> CTAN) can be used (i.e. only execute the precompiled binary) in a
DK> commercial, closed source-app? Of course with a statement like "this app
DK> uses GPL software, you can download it here ..."?

Yes.

DK> The idea with the "download the fonts on your machine yourself" seems good
DK> and I'll think about that further, or just leave those fonts out.

There might be a misunderstanding here.  ALL fonts included in TL can
be used by your app without any problems.  What the other posters
discussed were *additional fonts* that may be installed by the
getnonfreefonts script.  They are not included exactly because they
cannot be used in this way, since "non free".  As long as you do not
specifically need them (many people do not), there is nothing for you
to worry about.

Besides non free fonts, there are other additions to TL which cannot
be used or distributed easily, see https://contrib.texlive.info/.
They are kept separate specifically to enable the use of TL in the way
you want to use it.

--
Good luck

-Boris