Indexing fonts

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Jan 21 23:57:06 CET 2023

On 15/12/2022 21:39, Karl Berry wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, Norbert answered for Debian. For native TL, the answer is here:
> https://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#xetexfontconfig

As a very infrequent Mac user, I am only familiar with the Mac&TeX; I
installed in January 2017 (at least, that's the timestamp on the
directories, which sounds about right). It periodically updates TeXShop
for me, but the TL is in texlive/2016.

If I do this with XeLaTeX:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{AccanthisADFStdNo2}
\begin{document}
Hello, world!
\end{document}

I get Accanthis, so the distribution fonts work out of the box. However,
none of the system fonts are accessible this way.

The system utility "system_profiler" can report extensively on all
installed system fonts by using the argument "SPFontsDataType" but this
is presumably not used by XeLaTeX. Mac system fonts appear to be in
/Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts

Does anyone know the incantation required to get Mac system fonts
visible to XeLaTeX?

Peter