Indexing fonts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:34:10 CET 2023

út 17. 1. 2023 v 4:13 odesílatel Norbert Preining
<norbert at preining.info> napsal:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2023, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > 3. So with Debian texlive-full, the user must create the 09-texlive.conf
> > file themselves? (this is what I have been recommending to date).
>
> I am not sure about 09-texlive.conf, I usually did put those into
>         /etc/fonts/local.conf
> which is automatically loaded.

I have quite a complex setup but it is easy to maintain. TeX Live
comes with textlive-fontconfig.conf which should be used as
09-texlive.conf. I use it as a symlink in /etc/fonts/conf.d this way:

09-texlive.conf ->
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-var/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf

You see that I have current instead of the year number. That's because
I have several releases and current is the symlink to the release
which I want to use as default (now it is 2022). I often use pretest
releases just for testing but not for the real work. The symlink in
/etc/fonts/conf.d must be done by root but symlinks in
/usr/local/texlive can be created and modified by me. Thus when the
pretest ends and it becomes a regular release, I just change the
symlink in /usr/local/texlive and all the rest happens automatically.
I also have the ".../current/..." directory in PATH hence the new
release will be used and it is not necessary to restart the terminal.
If I want to use a specific release instead of current, I just change
PATH. I have a small script in Tcl/Tk which can select one of the
installed releases. However, the fonts will still be found in
"current" for XeTeX, luatex makes use of its database.

> Mine usually contained:
> ********************
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>         <dir>/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/opentype</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/truetype</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/adobe</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/nowacki</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/gust</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/fira</dir>
>         <dir>/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/tibetan</dir>
> </fontconfig>
> **************************
>
> Since I didn't want to add all of the fonts in TL (some actually break -
> or broke? - fontconfig!).
>
> Best
>
> Norbert
>
> --
> PREINING Norbert                              https://www.preining.info
> Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live
> GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/