Indexing fonts

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Jan 15 16:37:25 CET 2023

Just working through this now, thank you all for your contributions.

On 15/12/2022 21:39, Karl Berry wrote:
> On Windows, fc-cache is run, which I guess helps with XeTeX (and
> LuaTeX, presumably -- can anyone confirm?),

1. Does this index both the TL fonts *and* those in C:\fonts (or
wherever Windows keeps its own fonts, I forget these days), so that both
sets are available to XeLaTeX users?

> but I presume that does not make the TL fonts available as true
> system fonts, e.g., to Word.
2. Am I right in assuming that the reason TL uses fc-cache is so that
the code base can remain the same as on the other TL platforms; ie it
doesn't need additional code to call on Windows' own cache?

On 15/12/2022 01:55, Norbert Preining wrote:
> since the [TL] fonts in Debian are *not* installed into system
> searched font directories, but /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts
> the fonts will not be found automatically via fontconfig.
3. So with Debian texlive-full, the user must create the 09-texlive.conf
file themselves? (this is what I have been recommending to date).

I think I have most else of what I need :-)

Peter