Tlmgr suddenly fails

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 11 21:28:31 CET 2023

Am 22.12.2022 um 21:26 schrieb Siep Kroonenberg:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 08:18:57PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>>> lost contact with tlmgr, presumably because it crashed. On a freshly
>>> installed minimal TL for windows 10 it worked fine for me. I need to
>> Hmmm, could this be an issue between admin install and user install?
>> But then, why would it change just in the last 2 weeks or so.
>> Very strange.
> On my system, on a freshly installed admin install, tlshell still
> worked fine. I have no idea what is going on.

Dear Siep,

I tried to find the source of tlshell, but didn't succeed.

Could you see any possibility for me to locate the source of the strange
behaviour? (I am not experienced with tcl, but expect, that I could
decipher the commands and guess, which one could cause the problem on my
computer. (The command line interface works fine, so I have no urgent
need to resolve the problem, but I am curious, why this notebook behaves
that differently from my other ones.)

According to the error message the last command was "version". At this
point the GUI window doesn't show any version, so the error seems to
occur at calling version or during processing its results. There are no
error messages visible in the shell or anywhere else.

I would bet that the debugging has to be done on a machine, which shows
the error; maybe due to some changes in the OS (by updates or anything
else).

With kind wishes

Alois