cannot install texlive

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Feb 23 23:37:39 CET 2023

    fatal: getcwd failed: No such file or directory

That error message looks like it's coming from kpathsea. It's calling
getcwd() (from kpathsea/xgetcwd.c), and getcwd is failing. This does not
normally happen.

Thus I surmise there is something unusual in how you are calling the
installer. Are you calling the installer from some kind of temporary or
anonymous or virtual directory? Does /bin/pwd succeed in that directory?

As you've seen, I doubt it has anything to do with the mirror, or gpg. But for
purposes of debugging, you could try running
  ./install-tl --no-verify-downloads

Just to see if it gets any further, and/or different error messages are
reported. --best, karl.