TeXlive FreeBSD Port, distfile split-ups and licensing

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Mon Apr 10 01:27:50 CEST 2023

Hi Kurt,

> The author of the update to TeX Live 2023 wants to split the
> distfile into several sub-distfiles to lessen the load on the
> users that build TeX Live from the ports.

Sounds like a good plan.

> This has licensing implications and we need to find some
> person that is able to comment on those implications.

No need for licensing considerations, you can split as you like.

I recommend splitting at *collection* levels, out of several reasons:
- still a reasonable amount of packages (not too many)
- guaranteed to be disjoint (no file in two collections)

This is what I have done for Debian packaging about 15 years or so ago
;-)

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live