[tex-live] Re: Running `context` fails with TeX Live 2023: mtxrun | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Tue Apr 4 11:30:52 CEST 2023

On 2023/03/27 16:58:33 -0600, Max Chernoff wrote:
> Hi Vit,
>
> > Running `mtxrun --generate` produces the following output:
>
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
> > resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'usr'
>
> That's a problem.
>
> > This issue was originally reported at
> > https://gitlab.com/islandoftex/images/texlive/-/issues/30
>
> This line in the source
>
>    echo "tlpdbopt_sys_bin /usr/bin" >> install.profile && \
>
>    (https://gitlab.com/islandoftex/images/texlive/-/blob/228ded/Dockerfile#L64)
>
> is what's causing the issue. When you start LuaMetaTeX, it looks for a
> .lua file with the same name as the binary in the same folder. So
> running "/usr/bin/mtxrun" tries to run "/usr/bin/mtxrun.lua". Then
> mtxrun.lua tries to load "../../texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua". That
> file exists if you run the default
> "$SELFAUTOPARENT/bin/<platform>/mtxrun", but it doesn't exist if you run
> "/usr/bin/mtxrun".
>
> Two possible solutions:
>
> 1. Don't use tlpdbopt_sys_bin; instead, set the path to contain
>    /usr/local/texlive/2023/bin/<platform>
>
> 2. Set $TEXMF to the correct value and regenerate. You'll need to keep
>    this set any time that you run ConTeXt
>
>       export TEXMF=/usr/local/texlive/2023/
>       mtxrun --generate
>
> 3. Fix mtxrun.lua so that it looks in the proper location. I've tried to do
>    this, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

I had seen similar problems for an installation of the binaries in /usr/bin
and the TeXLive tree below /usr/share/texmf ...

To solve that not only texmfcnf.lua (here below /etc/texmf/web2c) but also
resolvers.luacnfspec in texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
and texmf-dist/tex/context/base/mkiv/data-res.lua had to be changed to
enable mtxrun as well luametatex (called also with -ini for the formats
by mtxrun).

I'm using now

 resolvers.luacnfspec=concat ({
    "home:texmf/web2c",
    "/etc/texmf/web2c",
    "selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c",
 }, ";")

works perfect.  At calling mtxrun --generate and/or --script fonts --reload
there whould be not set any different environment as then the databases have
a different hash.

Werner