dvisvgm needs rebuild to support ghostscript 10

Sergio Callegari sergio.callegari at unibo.it
Sat Nov 26 11:56:47 CET 2022

Understandable...

unfortunately, installing an older ghostscript is not very
strightforward, at least on linux. First, the very ghostcript site
*loudly* advertises version 10 as the current one and even has a large
"Please update ghostscript" sign with a scary "!" in a triangular alert
sign. Older releases are now hidden behind a small bottom line "Old
releases available here". Secondly, the binaries provided on the site do
not appear to split out "libgs" as needed by the TL dvisvgm.

The matter is similarly not so nice with dvisvgm. The software is so
tied up with the specialized dvi format that finding binaries is not
really very easy (e.g. in arch/manjaro it is not even available in the
huge "aur" repo). Some distros only ship it as part of their TeX offer,
which unfortunately should not be installed if you want to use the TL
distro. Upstream does not provide binaries for linux.

All this basically mean that users in distros shipping gs 10 will need
to install from source (either gs 9 or dvisvgm 2.1.4 or the pre-release
of version 3).

It is clear that trying to fix this in TL 2022 might look inefficient.
To avoid similar issues in the future, maybe TL could include its own
libgs (e.g. as part of the very dvisvgm package, assuming that this is
the only package needing it). As it is today, the situation is using
your own words not ideal, because TL is expected to be compatible with
many flavors of Unix and unfortunately the functionality is somehow
reduced on a few Linuxes including some that are rather mainstream
(arch, manjaro, debian sid, KaOS, OpenMandriva Rolling, with OpenSuse
Tumbleweed expected to join shortly).

Best,

Sergio