Updating tlmgr on Ubuntu/Linux Mint

Willow Liquorice willow at howhill.com
Thu Nov 10 14:18:17 CET 2022

Hello,

I run TeXLive on Linux Mint, but I've been unable to update or install
new TeXLive packages for quite some time because tlmgr is outdated. I
would use update-tlgmr-latest, but it is common on Ubuntu for the
kpsewhich command the script runs to return filesystem root, which
doesn't seem very helpful.

There are instructions for this eventuality, involving adding a TeXLive
path to $PATH, but I am unsure about which path is needed. I think the
Ubuntu package fiddles with where things are installed a bit, which
doesn't make the answer obvious.

I hope someone here can help me out.

Best wishes,
	Willow