Indexing fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Dec 15 22:39:29 CET 2022

Hi Peter,

    whether either route automatically updates the system's font index,
    either via a system-provided font installation indexer or via a
    utility such as fc-cache.

My question in return is, what "system-provided font installation
indexer" exists (on Unix), other than fc-cache?

Anyway, Norbert answered for Debian. For native TL, the answer is here:
https://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#xetexfontconfig

Which is to say, nothing is run on Unix (the fontconfig file is created,
but not run). On Windows, fc-cache is run, which I guess helps with
XeTeX (and LuaTeX, presumably -- can anyone confirm?), but I presume
that does not make the TL fonts available as true system fonts, e.g., to
Word.

    I guess the question is really whether XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX can
    immediately use fontspec to load (eg) \setmainfont{Accanthis} or if a
    manual indexing task has to be performed.

For that specific invocation of Accanthis, specifically, yes, must be
manually added as a system font.

If the accanthis package provided a fontspec file, nothing manual would
need to be done. Many OT/TT font packages do provide fontspec files.

You already know my opinion of system font lookups, so I won't belabor
the point :). --thanks, karl

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[
  Ligatures=TeX,
      ItalicFont=AccanthisADFStdNo3-Italic.otf,
        BoldFont=AccanthisADFStdNo3-Bold.otf,
  BoldItalicFont=AccanthisADFStdNo3-BoldItalic.otf,
               ]{AccanthisADFStdNo3-Regular.otf}
\begin{document}

Regular Text.

\emph{Italic Text.}