Indexing fonts

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Wed Dec 14 23:29:35 CET 2022

I am trying to update my information on what faces and fonts are
available to the user of a newly-installed TeX Live WITH the extra fonts
(both via the TUG download and via the texlive-full.deb and
texlive-fonts-extra.deb) IMMEDIATELY after installation, BEFORE any
additional user intervention.

I think what I'm missing is whether either route automatically updates
the system's font index, either via a system-provided font installation
indexer or via a utility such as fc-cache. I am assuming that fonts
installed by the operating system itself at original install time are
already indexed.

I guess the question is really whether XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX can
immediately use fontspec to load (eg) \setmainfont{Accanthis} or if a
manual indexing task has to be performed.

Peter