Tlmgr suddenly fails

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Dec 10 20:42:37 CET 2022

Hello Norbert,
thank you very much for the quick answer!
Actually I am using tlshell.exe. When I press the button "Restart tlmgr"
before it throws the error, I receive these messages in the log window
can't read "::tlshl": no such variable
can't read "::tlshl": no such variable
     while executing
"chan eof $::tlshl"
     (procedure "read_line" line 8)
     invoked from within
"read_line"
Otherwise I do not see any error message.
I just tried the tlshell from the 2021 distribution and it also behaves
the same. So I guess that something changed on my system, related to
some "version" procedure.
I get the same behaviour, when I call tlmgr from the Windows start menu,
from the command shell, the Powershell or from cygwin's bash shell. I
also tried to start it with an empty PATH environment variable.

With kind regards
Alois