Call for testing: TeX Collection 2021

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Sat Apr 3 22:52:05 CEST 2021

Folks,

I have begun testing the Macintosh portion of the DVD, and thought a word of warning might be useful in case others also test. To save space, we ask users to install TeX Live with the Unix Install Script by running the following commands in Terminal:

	bash
	umask 0022
	cd /Volumes/TEXCOL2021/texlive
	sudo ./install-tl

But on Big Sur, the Mac responds to most of these commands. When the user types "bash", the system reports that the default shell is now zsh. After line 3, the Mac reports that the DVD is removable media and asks if the user wants to proceed. After line 4, the Mac asks for a password. And if the user installed Big Sur, but didn't install supplemental updates, the last line crashes because Wish was defective in the initial release. In that case, use

	sudo ./install-tl --gui=text

Later during installation, we used to ask users to install Gui-Applications.pkg, but now we just ask them to drag a folder to /Applications. We had our reasons, but dragging a folder is MUCH, MUCH slower than an install package. In a couple of days it will again be an install package.

Both items will be fixed and sent to Manfred.

Dick Koch