Remote's division in tlmgr

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sat Sep 26 18:11:53 CEST 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 09:47:59PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Siep, hi all,
>
> > I reproduced the same problem of `tlshell`.
> > Note that the problem is not occurred if you use `tlmgr -gui`.
> > It seems that `tlmgr info` command cannot get remote catalogue version
>
> So yes, tlmgr info cannot output local and remote catalogue info at the
> moment. And thus, if a package is already installed, the catalogue
> version shown by tlmgr info is always the local one.
>
> It should still be possible to display the correct version, since
> tlcockpit *shows* it.
>
> tlshell already parses the list of available updates given by
> 	tlmgr update --list
> (Siep, is that correct?) which contains also the catalogue data on the
> remote side. (This is how tlcockpit is doing it)

I was wrong, I _can_ reproduce it.

Tlshell does not load the complete database information; it updates
the package info with

[tlmgr] info --data name,localrev,remoterev,cat-version,category,shortdesc

and then compares localrev with remoterev. So I understand that that
won't work for updating cat-version.

> At the same time I will check how this can be included into the tlmgr
> info command, but I don't want to load the rmeote database if not
> necessary. I need to think about it.

I'll wait for what you come up with.

--
Siep Kroonenberg