Why is quran package installed by default on Texlive2020

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Fri May 15 12:29:20 CEST 2020

Urs Liska wrote:

> Why does some collection have to depend on a given package at all? From
> the conceptual perspective I'd assum quran depends on -xetex not vice
> versa.
>
> Is this how TeX Live is organized, i.e. quran (or any other package) is
> only included if one of the collections depends on it?
>
> If so wouldn't it be useful to have a collection to pull in all non-
> essential packages? Because (although I have zero interest in whether
> quran is installed or not) I don't see why installing the -xetex
> collection would pull in that package. quran is not necessary to use
> XeTeX, isn't it?

I had exactly the same conversation with myself while showering this morning.  And it seems to me that the answer is "because 'Collection XeTeX' is a /collection/".  In other words, if you install the /package/ 'quran', it will install XeTeX and other things on which it ('quran') depends; but if you install 'Collection XeTeX', then you will install XeTeX and all the packages that make use of XeTeX. /N'est-ce pas ?

/Philip Taylor
//