microscopic fonts in TL guis

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Thu Apr 23 16:49:44 CEST 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:18:38PM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> čt 23. 4. 2020 v 16:01 odesílatel Philip Taylor
> <P.Taylor at hellenic-institute.uk> napsal:
> >
> > Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> >
> > As I wrote to the tex-live list, font size in tlshell is now
> > scalable via the options menu.
> >
> > Additionally: I just found out that Tcl/Tk responds to the value of
> > Xft.dpi in ~/.Xresources, at least on myi ubuntu 18.04 system, which
> > has only a window manager (fvwm), and no desktop.
> >
> Just a suggestion: Firefox offers shortcuts Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. Could
> such shortcuts be implemented? If someone sees the fonts really
> microscopic, it might be difficult to search menu options but keyboard
> is available always and users might know these shortcuts.

Everything is basically in place to resize in such a way, at least
from the main window. However:

- I do not know how may people would think of trying these shortcuts.

- On mobile devices, a convention is a small A and a large A to click
  on, but this would clutter the interface.

- I did not mention it, but tlshell and the gui installer already
  double the font sizes if the pixel dimensions of the screen are
  larger than height 2000 and width 3000 and nothing else is
  configured.  On my macbook, which has a HiDPI screen, I get the
  virtual pixel dimensions, not the much higher actual dimensions,
  and font sizes come out ok without explicit scaling. Apparently
  these are defined in terms of these same virtual pixels.

So I am not sure what would be the best thing to do, if anything.

--
Siep Kroonenberg