How to configure ConText in TeXLive 2019

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at yandex.ru
Thu Oct 17 04:19:58 CEST 2019

Hello,
** Pablo González L <pablgonz at educarchile.cl> [2019-10-16 12:59:39 -0300]:

> Hi, I'm trying to use ConText in TeXLive 2019 (updated), but I'm having some
> problems and I haven't been able to solve them after a while searching the
> net. I use fedora 30 and win10 and in neither of them I have managed to make
> it work.

Check if your environment has variables named as TEX*. I have TEXMFCNF
in my environment that causes the similar issue but when I unset it and
run

  $ mtxrun --generate; context --make ; context --version

I see context version.

> ## output win10
> C:\Users\pablo>kpsewhich -var-brace-value=TEXMF
> D:/ltxcole/stycole/;C:/Users/pablo/.texlive2019/texmf-config;C:/Users/pablo/.texlive2019/texmf-var;C:/Users/pablo/texmf;!!C:/texlive/texmf-local;!!C:/texlive/2019/texmf-config;!!C:/texlive/2019/texmf-var;!!C:/texlive/2019/texmf-dist
>
> C:\Users\pablo>kpsewhich -all texmf.cnf
> c:/Users/pablo/texmf.cnf

I suspect that problem could be with that file. Check if your could run
context without that file, also check if root has something similar.

> c:/texlive/2019/texmf.cnf
> c:/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> C:\Users\pablo>more texmf.cnf
> TEXMFAUXTREES = D:/ltxcole/stycole/,

[...]

> The strange thing is that as a user `root` does work.

See my suggestion above.

[...]

IIRC, this is context "feature", it doesn't use kpsewhich system and
uses it's own system. While kpsewhich joins all texmf.cnf files (and
trees) context system do things differently, if I'm not mistaken, it
reads only first file.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Taxes, n.:
	Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get