versioned container testing

Brook Milligan brook at nmsu.edu
Wed Nov 20 22:55:15 CET 2019

> On Nov 20, 2019, at 1:38 PM, Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Brook said:
>
>  The first time a pkgsrc bulk build happens (which is more or less
>  daily), it will download foo-1.2.3.tar.xz from CTAN and verify the
>  checksum.
>
> Wouldn't be possible for CTAN to provide the `foo-1.2.3.tar.xz.sha512'
> checksum file of `foo-1.2.3.tar.xz' next to the latter? Hence the pkgsrc
> bulk build could download only this `.sha512' instead of the possibly
> very large `.xz' and would save bandwith.

I believe you are suggesting an algorithm for pkgsrc to adopt that would involve downloading a TeXlive-provided hash to check the veracity of the TeXlive-provided *.xz file.  That just begs the question, how does someone know to trust the TeXlive-provided hash?  There must be information internal to pkgsrc, i.e., independent of TeXlive (at least after the package is made) that provides this information.  As a consequence, anyone using the package will know that they have the same file that the package developer did, and the minimum number of downloads are guaranteed.

The problem with the long-standing approach to TeXlive is that checksums change, yet the filename does not reflect that.  Thus, information claiming that foo.xz has a particular checksum is out of date once the file is regenerated, and a package user cannot be confident of having the same file as the developer.  This causes needless churn and requires special handling for TeXlive packages.  It also is at variance with a broad community of standard practice.

The solution being adopted, which encodes the version information in the name, allows a single checksum to forever apply to the same file (at least if TeXlive has reproducible means of creating files or only creates them once, which I believe is also part of the new process).  It might be useful to also provide a hash file, but that is not necessary (and would not be used by pkgsrc if it were available).

This is a huge step forward, for which I thank Karl and everyone working on this.  I am eager to see this go live, and appreciate your great care making sure no unforeseen issues arise with the switchover.  Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,
Brook