pretesting please (texdoctk)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Mar 31 22:11:26 CEST 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 07:39:18PM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:

> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>

> Trying "TeXdoctk" after a portable-mode install, I am told :
>
> C:\TeX\Lambda\bin\win32\runscript.tlu:902: command failed with exit code
> 1: wperl.exe c:\TeX\Lambda\texmf-dist\scripts\texdoctk\texdoctk.pl"
>
> Thank you for that feedback, Siep.  Unfortunately launching C:\TeX\Lambda\doc.html, then following the link to XeTeX and clicking on XeTeX itself takes me to a directory listing:
>
>   *   file:///C:/TeX/Lambda/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1

Scrolling down a few lines, you'll find xetexref, which happens to
be a separate package.

> Double-click on "texdoctk.exe" / Database search / Enter "enumerate" / Hit <return> / Select second entry = "Extended enumeration style ( enumerate)".
> Done.

If you browse the alphabetically sorted list of packages looking for
something like enumerate, you'll find enumitem. The short
descriptions are also all there.

The CTAN catalogue can also be useful to find things.

> In TeX Live 2019, that is no longer possible.  Has TeXdoctk been intentionally disabled, or is it simply an unfortunate side-effect of some deeper change ?

It requires Perl/Tk, which is no longer included.  I just dropped
the no-GUI restriction from runscript.tlu, so as of tomorrow's
update you should be able to run texdoctk _if_ you have an external
perl with Perl/Tk included.

--
Siep Kroonenberg