pretesting please (texdoctk)

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sun Mar 31 21:39:18 CEST 2019

Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

Trying "TeXdoctk" after a portable-mode install, I am told :

C:\TeX\Lambda\bin\win32\runscript.tlu:902: command failed with exit code
1: wperl.exe c:\TeX\Lambda\texmf-dist\scripts\texdoctk\texdoctk.pl"

This is expected. We believe that doc.html in the root of the
installation is a good alternative for searching for documentation.

Thank you for that feedback, Siep.  Unfortunately launching C:\TeX\Lambda\doc.html, then following the link to XeTeX and clicking on XeTeX itself takes me to a directory listing:

  *   file:///C:/TeX/Lambda/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1

In TeX Live 2018, texdoctk was fully functional, which is how/why I was able to recommend it to Michael Barr when he needed a GUI route to "TeXdoc enumerate" :

Start / Computer / C-Drive (probably) / texlive (probably) / 2018 (probably) / bin / win32 /
Double-click on "texdoctk.exe" / Database search / Enter "enumerate" / Hit <return> / Select second entry = "Extended enumeration style ( enumerate)".
Done.

In TeX Live 2019, that is no longer possible.  Has TeXdoctk been intentionally disabled, or is it simply an unfortunate side-effect of some deeper change ?

By the way: I am still tinkering with the windows wrapper for
tlshell, which may or may not solve your problem.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Philip Taylor