Aw: Re: Undesirable nul file with tlmgr.bat under Windows

"Torsten Schütze" Torsten.Schuetze at gmx.net
Sat Jul 20 20:33:56 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Reinhard Kotucha schrieb:

> As far as I understand, Torsten has a Windows installation and uses
> Cygwin for convenient maintenance.  What IMO can't work reliably is
> that his Cygwin PATH contains the bin/win32 binaries.  Even if this
> worked in the past, if Cygwin binaries are linked against the cygwin
> DLLs and Windows binaries are linked against against MSVCRT.DLL, there
> *must* be differences in behavior.

just to clarify: with my setup everything works fine EXCEPT the nul file, which is only a small disturbance. I now see that I obviously run a non-supported setup. But with the change described in my last mail (2>&1 > nul) everything is fine again. So, why not add it?

Therefore I don't see a urgent reason to change my setup. It should be noted that I need the TeX system under plain Win64 AND Cygwin. And I don't want to have two separate TeX installations. I could live with adding just the Cygwin binaries to the Win32/64 TeX System, but

> Norbert, you already spent a lot of time in order to find out how to
> fix tlmgr.  I don't think that tlmgr is the culprit.
>
> If this works for Torsten
>
>   * tlmgr platform add cygwin

this command from a Win64 cmd line doesn't work

tlmgr platform add cygwin
action `platform' not supported on Windows
tlmgr.pl: action platform returned an error; continuing.
Can't call method "option" on an undefined value at C:\TeX\texmf-dist\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl line 938.

>   * prepend /cygdrive/c/TeX/bin/cygwin to the Cygwin PATH
>
> everything is fine.  It's at least the only *correct* solution and I
> don't see any reason to support anything else.  I also don't expect
> that my x86_64-linux binaries work on my Rapberry Pi.
>
> And there is no need to install anything from scratch.  Only the
> binaries for Cygwin have to be added to the existing installation.
>
> Torsten, does what I suggest work for you?

No. See above. And if I use the cygwin setup-x86_64.exe, it installs TeX Live under Cygwin standard places.

I somehow could befriend with installing the cygwin binaries (only the binaries) in addition to Win32 TeXLive binaries. But for another reason: As far as I see the TeXLive binaries are still 'only' win32 (if one doesn't install the Win64 binaries from CTAN/systems/win32/w32tex/TLW64/tl-win64.zip). I tested above 64-bit binaries from Akira during the pretest phase. The cygwin TeXLive binaries would be 64-bit too, wouldn't they?

So, if my current setup is not supported, how can I install just the cygwin binaries under C:\TeX\bin\...?

@Ken: Why do I not use cygwin TeXLive in the first place? First, I somehow support the TeXLive installation for friends and colleagues. And not all of them use cygwin, but all use plain Windows. Second, in the past and during pretest, the win32 binaries came earlier than cygwin packages. And up to this conversation, I didn't see any big differences between Win32 and Cygwin packages. Similar situation as with the openSuSE Tumbleweed TeXLive system packages and separate TeX installation under /usr/local/TeX. At least I thought so...

Ciao,
  Torsten