[tex-live] TL2018: Problems with filenames

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu May 10 22:11:24 CEST 2018

OK it appears that windows is using an 8bit encoding rather than UTF-8
for the filenames which is a bit of a pain.
the reason why ü fails is (we think:-) because it does not correspond
to a UTF-8 starting byte if stored as latin-1.

Assuming that's correct then in addition to the \detokenize version i
just posted

pdflatex \UseRawInputEncoding \input begrüßung.tex

should work and if both those work I think I understand enough to make
a latex  that works without that workaround. (the alternative would be
support in the engine filereading code for normalising different
filename encodings (which is what the xetex case would require I
suspect) but I'll look at a macro based solution first.

David