[tex-live] tlmgr update failure

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri May 4 23:18:07 CEST 2018

On 2018-05-04 at 16:32:38 +0200, Andreas Hirsch wrote:

 > [...]
 >
 > update-tlmgr-latest.sh
 > Verifying archive integrity... All good.
 > Uncompressing TeX Live Manager Updater  100%
 > ./runme.sh: updating in /usr/local/texlive...
 > ./runme.sh: tlmgr version says this is TeX Live 2018
 > ./runme.sh: proceeding with tlmgr update.
 > tar: win32: Funktion stat fehlgeschlagen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
 > gefunden
 > tar: Beende mit Fehlerstatus aufgrund vorheriger Fehler
 > cp: Aufruf von stat für 'installer/xz/xzdec.win32' nicht möglich: Datei
 > oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Hi Andreas,
most people on this list don't understand German.  But if you type

   LC_ALL=C update-tlmgr-latest.sh

you'll get all error messages and warnings in English.

You can always set environment variables temporarily this way on the
command line.

It works on any POSIX compliant system (Linux, BSD, OS X, Cygwin,...)
but unfortunately not on native Windows.  Since MSYS/MinGW provides a
POSIX compliant shell (Bash), I suppose that it's supported there too.

If anybody knows how to switch temporarily to English on a native
non-English Windows installation, please let us know.  I know that it
is possible because a friend of mine happily switches between English,
German, and Chinese all the time.  What I don't know is whether it's
necessary to install support files for English explicitly and how to
select a particular language.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25