[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Mon Dec 10 22:12:09 CET 2018

I'm suggesting containerization is a means to a solution, for the S-mode
issue as well as challenges booting new user environment etc.

There are many containerization models/templates available today: docker,
kubernetes, rancher, rancheros, to name a few.

"total redesign everything" no not really, just establish a tool to define
the platform, certify the tool and port existing deployment to the
platform. There are probably already certified containers available, java
comes to mind but that is probably not the platform we want here.

users have to integrate tex to their platform every time they install a new
os anyway. I'm suggesting taking ownership of the platform to run the text
processing environment. It's not like the effort of owning OS maintenance,
but it does offer a means to own the environment of package deployment,
dependencies and text processing. After all, we cannot expect (all the) OS
vendors to support all the requirements of tex, ongoing anyway. It's a
changing world, you cannot expect platforms to remain unchanged. Define you
own platform, or re-port when the platforms change.

--
George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710, http://www.galis.org/