[tex-live] Interesting Web2C/Et Cetera Build Issue Related to Subversion Checkout State

Bryce Glover randomdsdevel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 02:54:02 CEST 2018

To Whom It May Concern,

     So it turns out that if, on OS X/macOS (I’m on v10.11.6 ‘El Capitan,’ if that helps any,) you set up a 50-GiB sparse ‘HFS+ (Extended, Journaled, Case-Sensitive) disk image named ‘Development,’ mount it, and then run:

cd /Volumes/Development
mkdir -p ./Repositories/texlive
cd ./Repositories/texlive/
svn checkout —depth=empty —config-option config:miscellany:use-commit-times=yes svn://tug.org/texlive <svn://tug.org/texlive> ./ # All on one line if it doesn’t show up that way.
svn update —parents —depth=infinity --config-option config:miscellany:use-commit-times=yes ./branches/branch2017/ # Also similarly all on one line.
cd ./branches/branch2017/Build/source/
mkdir -v ./Work
cd ./Work
CC=clang CXX=“clang++” ../Build TL_CONFIGURE_ARGS=“-C —disable-all-pigs —enable-web2c”

you eventually get to a point where:

⋮
cd texk/texlive/tl_scripts && make  run-texlinks
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: texk/texlive/tl_scripts: No such file or directory
make: *** [world] Error 1
+ echo 2
⋮

occurs.  (I’ve also seen this when attempting to build other pieces of TeX Live, such as bibtex-x, as well, for what it’s worth.)  I recall that, when initially cloning the TeX Live repository by running:

# Set up filesystem scaffolding like it was before any repository cloning…
#
# You should then be inside `/Volumes/Development/Repositories/texlive/` for this.
⋮
mkdir -p ./branches/branch2017
cd ./branches/branch2017/
svn checkout --depth=infinity --config-option config:miscellany:use-commit-times=yes svn://tug.org/texlive/branches/branch2017/ <svn://tug.org/texlive/branches/branch2017/> ./ # Again, all on one line for this command.
⋮

and then going to build something, everything works fine (though I’ve only done things that way once.)  I wouldn’t be surprised if this working example could be reduced to just changing the Subversion command invocation(s) involved yet still reproduce what I’m seeing without doing everything inside a case-sensitive sparse disk image like I have set up, but I left the relevant context in just in case.  Maybe this has already been fixed in the upcoming TeX Live 2018…?

Both intrigued and somewhat perplexed,
     Bryce Glover
     RandomDSdevel at gmail.com