[tex-live] TeX Live 2018 pretest problem with lualatex and Biolinum font

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Apr 5 22:26:17 CEST 2018

Thomas Krennwallner wrote
>... if I
>compile with lualatex, bold sans serif text seems to use
>Linux Biolinum O Bold Oblique (LinBiolinumOBO)
>instead of
>Linux Biolinum O Bold (LinBiolinumOB).
>
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage{fontspec}
>\begin{document}
>{\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily}
>
>{\itshape\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily itshape}
>
>{\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries (uses oblique with lualatex)}
>
>{\itshape\bfseries\sffamily\fontspec{Linux Biolinum O} biolinum sffamily bfseries itshape (ignores bfseries with xelatex)}
>\end{document}

I got the same results (TeXLive 2018, updated today, Windows 7). However, both of the following changes corrected the problems:

Load the libertine package instead of fontspec:
    %\usepackage{fontspec}
    \usepackage{libertine}
and omit the \fontspec commands.

Or move the \fontspec commands before all the font commands. For example,
    \fontspec{Linux Biolinum O}{\bfseries\sffamily

I can't explain why the original doesn't work.

Cheers,

Daniel H. Luecking
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas